So, I participated in my first Diabetic Connect Diabetes Education chat tonite, and it was a lot of fun. I always like to meet new people online (because we all know I have super social anxiety in real life, eek!) and the group was a kick. Tonite’s topic of discussion was handling eating during the holidays, and someone mentioned the thing that is always on the Top 10 Biggest Annoyances list for any diabetic: the food police.
You know who I’m talking about, those people who watch over your shoulder, asking if you can eat that roll, telling you to put down the pie and generally just being worse than your mother was 6 days after coming home from the hospital.
Every diabetic has come across at least on in their life.
Diabetic Connect has a very good list of ways to handle the food police, and they are most certainly very good and should be given a look by anyone who has ever found themselves in a position where people are questioning their culinary choices. But since I’m a snarky smartass, I really can’t see myself implementing them after the first round of being asked “doesn’t that have sugar?” six times is over.
So, in that vein, I now give you
THE SMARTASS’ GUIDE TO HANDLING THE FOOD POLICE
Snarky Responses to “You Can’t Eat That.”
1. Really? I thought I was the one going to college.
2. That’s cool, because you really shouldn’t be talking with your mouth full.
3. I think this pie would look way better on my ass than on yours.
4. That’s too bad, because these mashed potatoes are so lonely, they need a friend. Like the turkey I just ate.
5. For one day, my body can handle it. You, however, will always be ugly no matter what you eat.
6. Several peer-reviewed articles in Diabetes Care seem to disagree with you.
7. Good thing your insurance premiums/tax dollars are paying for my insulin pump.
8. Blame Obama.
9. I’m a piranha. They in the Amazon.
10. Silly me, I forgot you are an expert on diabetes care! Please, what can I eat?
11. Hold on, let me grab my towel and consult the Hitchhiker’s Guide.
12. You’re fired.
13. Taking a break from bothering your spouse/significant other/parent I see. How about you take a break from bothering me, too.
14. I need you to go outside and double-check that the dairy elves haven’t smeared the metal posts outside with ice cream again. It’s impossible to get off and I don’t want to spend the money replacing them again. The only way to do it is to preform a taste test. (Works best in cold climates).
15. Your ever-widening ass shows that you have no business giving me dietary advice.
What would be on your Smartass’ Guide to Handling the Food Police?